Monday, June 1, 2009

Are You Happy with Your Life? Circle Yes or No.

I think one of the most inane questions a doctor's office can ever ask you is "are you happy with your life?" Would I be in the freaking doctor's office if I was? The questionnaire had "yes" or "no" that you could circle. I decided not to circle either, but instead wrote "this is a relative question" along the bottom. Apparently, no one has thought to question the validity of this question (yes, I know, how many more times can I say question?). The nurses and receptionists cackled for five minutes over my answer, but I'm not sure this is a new concept. Is there really someone out there who can honestly check "yes" or "no" when asked if they're totally happy with their life? I would like to meet this person and then check them into the nearest mental hospital because obviously they are delusional. Not that I don't think people can be genuinely satisfied with their lives, but as an overarching theme, life isn't rainbows and butterflies all the time. Why would one of the most popular phrases in English be "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"? Butterflies don't kill. To the best of my knowledge, as long as you don't find the scary little man at the end of the rainbow, they won't kill you either.

What is the definition of happiness anyway? For me, contentment sometimes means complacency, happiness is but a moment, and trials are just plain bad luck. However, in order to have bad luck you must also have good luck, it's just logical, therefore bad luck will eventually turn around. I've met people for whom happiness is a fat bank account or a nice car or house. Happiness is succeeding in a job or as a parent. Not to be a pessimist, but these are all relative as well. Someone will always have a nicer house or more money (except of course Bill Gates or Warren Buffett). Whether or not you're good at a job or as a parent is pretty subjective.

I think instead you have to hold on to the moments that make you smile. A first kiss, a promotion, a laughing child. Everyday things. Something as simple as someone who loves you telling you so can make your day. The flip side is, you're going to have to deal with that jerk in traffic or a stubbed toe or people you feel are stupid. There's quite a few out there. I have a bad habit of becoming melancholy which is really just forgetting your good moments. For now, the fact that the cable guy asked me if I 'wanna go for a ride' will make me smile for at least a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment